Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"Two Much"


She's not showing off.  Juliet isn't like that (though I might be).  She's bitter about the NHL lockout and wanted to give her Flyers some motivation to be reasonable.  She loves her Flyers.  Especially her Flyers shirt.  But the Eagles are the only game in town right now, and a girl has got to be entertained.

Especially this girl.

When Juliet's not watching football, she likes Yo Gabba Gabba and the Mickey Mouse Club.  When she's not watching any of those things, she's asking to watch them.  And asking.  And asking.

We talked a big game about not letting Juliet watch TV.  Then, we needed to shower.  Then, we got tired of being the entertainment.  Or just tired.  I'm not even sure I know the difference between tired and not tired anymore, but I do know the difference between the TV being on and not.

Juliet likes to draw too.  That's a good activity because it doesn't require movement.  We lay on the floor and color with crayons.  A couple of weeks ago, Juliet drew a circle, which she called a monkey.  Then, she put eyes on it.  And ears.  She noticed that it was starting to look like a monkey, and that I was excited.  So, she quickly scribbled all over it, got up and ran away.

Then we were moving again.

I turned on the TV.

Ahhh.

But then it's bed time.

"Juliet, say goodnight to Yo Gabba."

"No."

"It's time for bed."

"I do not want to go to bed."

"It's late, Juliet," I say.  "And I'm tired - I think."

"I want to watch just a little bit."

"How much is a little bit?" I ask.

Juliet smiles.  She's already bought an extra minute, and probably five because I'm a sucker.  And she hasn't even asked for three books instead of two yet.  Or for a little bit of water.  And ice.  That she wants to put in "all by herself."

As we rock in the dark, Juliet leans back away from me, smiling.  She holds her hands up to my cheeks, mushes them.

"I am a member of the chubby wubby club," she says.  "Smile."

And I do.  Because she said so.  That's pretty much how it goes.

Except for sometimes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment