Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Role Reversal"


It's bed time. I am sitting in the rocking chair in Juliet's room. Juliet is sitting in her little chair across the room.
"Daddy, I want to stay up until I feel like going to bed. That may be never. It also may be soon. I won't know until I am actually asleep. Can I stay up?"
"No."
"Will you at least get me cookies."
"No."
"Fine," Juliet says. "At the very least, give me your phone so I can play with it until I get frustrated and cry."
"No."
"Why don't you do everything I tell you to?" Juliet asks. "Mommy does everything I tell her to. That's why I love her more."
"Mama?" I ask.
"Yes," Juliet says. "And if you insist on putting me to bed right now, and I hope you'll reconsider, you have to sing to me like Mommy does. You have to sing 'You are My Sunshine' over and over until I tell you to stop. Or until I cry. That means stop."
"Sing?"
"Yes, Daddy. Sing."
"Socks," I say, pointing to Juliet's socks.
"Yes, these are my socks. By the way, this chocolate milk you made me sucks. I only have you make it because I don't want you thinking that you won on the milk issue."
"Bye bye," I say.
I run out of her room and slam the door. I wait, open the door and there is Juliet. Reading "Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late." She looks up.
"Can I have a glass of water?" she asks.
"No."
"Can we watch TV?"
"No."
"Can you at least take the swimmie diaper off your head? It is not a hat."
"No."
"Daddy, you don't get it at all."
And then, when Juliet is at her most frustrated point, I purse my lips and lean towards her. She can't help but smile. It's got nothing to do with me, but she knows I think it does. The truth is that she just pooped. She didn't have to do, but it bought her five more minutes.
What's five minutes in the grand scheme of things?

No comments:

Post a Comment