Sunday, October 16, 2011

"Isn't She Amazing?"

I was describing how Juliet had put the triangle block through the triangle hole. Once. She had also taken a wrapper off a Starbucks straw. And pointed to the apple in The Hungry Caterpillar, and said, “apple.” My buddy acted impressed.

“That’s next level shit, dude,” I said.


“Yes it is,” he said. “Sit, Rosie.”

Rosie is my buddy’s dog. She sat.


It’s possible that the things I find so amazing might not be – amazing. Like when she was only a couple of weeks old, staring at the mobile in her crib.


“She loves music,” I told everyone.


It may have been that she wasn’t strong enough to move her neck. Because she wasn’t. Every parent thinks that the things their babies do are amazing. And every parent thinks that every parent thinks it, but that they are the only one who’s right.

I try to prove it to people by making her do her tricks. I know that Juliet knows that a cow says “moo.” That a sheep says “baa.” And that a pig makes a sound like hocking a loogie. Juliet knows that she can make me look like a jack-ass by not cooperating when I ask her to do her routine in front of people I am trying to impress.


She is a genius. This morning, she stuck her finger in her nose.


“This is your fault,” Melissa said. “You spent all day with her yesterday.”


“Maybe she has a booger,” I said.


“She farted and laughed about it.”


“Wa-wa?” Juliet asked.


She meant water, waffle or the Wiggles. Before I could figure it out, Juliet was pulling her purple dog, Violet, out of the toy box. She pushed Violet’s paw.

“Five minutes of sleep time music now,” Violet said.


Juliet’s lower lip curled, and quivered. The music started, and Juliet cried. I pushed Violet’s paw, and the music stopped. Juliet composed herself. She pushed the paw again, and cried, again. She wasn’t ready for bed, and she wanted me to know it. She understood.

She understands!


Juliet is making connections a minute. She pushes the button for the elevator. She’s been giving extra hugs to the Phillies Monkey since they got knocked out of the playoffs. And the other day, when I was at work, and Juliet was at home, she leaned over and kissed a boy.

Amazing?

I’m not sure…

2 comments:

  1. I've convinced myself that my niece is smarter then me. She is also the 2nd baby I have ever held and has not cried, and I am totally convinced that it is cause she knows by not crying she can totally own me. She is just over a month old, is it even possible for her to know that I am totally in love with her and that she will own me some day. That the day she says Uncle Dave, I will break like a baseball going through and window and go out and buy her whatever toy makes her happy. I'm not a father, but I can completely understand..i love the stories and like i said, i should comment more. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always appreciate a comment, especially a positive one. Thanks for reading, and for the little push to keep going. I'm sure you know how much it helps.

    ReplyDelete